The Lord put on my heart to write a blog about marriage, specifically directed to the wife’s role in marriage. This blog is designed to highlight how to love our husbands God’s way. We can easily get discouraged, we are not perfect and we are human. This blog serves to teach and remind us what the Word of God says about what is inside our hearts as believers. We have the Greater One on the inside of us and He is greater than the one ruling the world, Satan. As believers, we have a Helper and He is the Holy Spirit. John 14:26 (Amplified) states this about the Holy Spirit:

But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you. John 14:26 AMP

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

LOVE - God’s Love Versus Man’s Love

When we say we love our husband or love our children, it seems to stem from emotion.  Emotional love is selfish.  It meets an emotional desire and if it is not returned with love, it disappears.  Natural love is always asking for something in return. 
God’s love is unconditional.  He gave it to us freely.  It is part of our salvation.  It belongs to us.  So now we have the ability to love like God loves us.  Romans 5:5 (KJV) says “…the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit which is given to us.” We have to choose to love like God loves us.  It’s a choice, not a feeling.  We choose to love even when we don’t feel like it or when someone doesn’t return our natural love.
“But it’s hard!” you might say.  That’s why this scripture says the love was given to us by the Holy Spirit.  If it was given to us by the Holy Spirit, surely He must help us when things seem hard.  The Holy Spirit is our helper.
Romans 8:26 says “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities…”  Another definition of infirmities is weakness.  When we are weak, God is strong.  Don’t rely on your own strength to desire to love when your husband is unlovely. Your side is only to choose to love and God’s side is to help you do the actual loving.  You need only remember Romans 5:5 and pray, “Lord, your Word says Your love is shed abroad in my heart, therefore I know I have the God kind of love in me so I choose to love my husband even though his love seems unreturned.  I don’t feel like loving him today but I know your Word says that the Holy Spirit will help me to walk in love.  I thank you for the Holy Spirit’s help today as I endeavor to be sweet toward my husband.  I choose to look at my husband through your eyes and see him as the one Your precious Son died for.  I surround my husband in faith and love.  Thank you Father.” 
A few minutes later, you may again begin to feel like you can’t love your husband.  Just bring to mind what you prayed to the Father and say, “Thank you for the Holy Spirit help to help me walk in love towards my husband.  I believe what the Word says belongs to me.  And I believe the Holy Spirit is my helper.  Thank you, Father, for the Holy Spirit help.” 
Begin to praise Him.  Get out of your head and into your heart where the love of God resides.  Empty your mind of all negative thoughts and fill it with praises.  Remind yourself of God’s love towards you and that He only wants what is best for you.  A sweet marriage is the will of God.  He wants you to have peace in your home.
You will begin to see that what seemed impossible becomes not only possible, but light and easy, when you ask for the help of the Holy Spirit.
© 2011 Michelle Serna

No comments:

Post a Comment